Sunday, February 14, 2016

Documentation

For my installation, Sundowning, I wanted for convey the feeling of returning somewhere to connect with loved ones before night takes over. The viewers were invited to sit in my car; inside were monotype prints I made of my family projected onto the windshield. The outside of the windshield was covered with transparent mylar so the projection shows up, yet the windshield was still translucent. The car was running and the heat on; the viewers heard voices faintly coming from the radio--which were recorded and compiled nightly check in calls to my family members as I left Grinnell. The car had a welcoming smell of cinnamon rolls, sugar cookies, apple pie, and various other baked goods.
The imagery I worked with were monotype prints I made of my family members while they were doing some activity during nighttime—such as eating supper. Initially I wanted to shine my headlights through monotype prints on clear plastic to project the image onto a wall in front of my car. Viewers would sit in my car and see the monotype prints. I made a prototype to test out the projection and it did not work. Miriam and her team suggested the headlights distributed the light too much; they recommended I try something else. I asked if I could use their Pico projectors and they agreed. I made a shelf between the front seats of my car and draped it in black cloth. After, I mounted the projectors to the shelf with black electrical tape. I edited the monotypes so they fit my windshield. I also took my rearview mirror off as to not distract from the monotypes.
The viewers all gave fairly positive feedback; however, several of them said they wished they could have spent more time in the car and it might have been a more meaningful experience if they would have. Many of the viewers commented on the smell, and described it as smelling “good,” “homey,” and “sweet.” Miriam and her team suggested I add a component of smell and I am really glad I did, as it was one of the most commented on parts of the installation.  









No comments:

Post a Comment